Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wendy Kopp of Teach for America: Charisma is overrated

I loved this New York Times Adam Bryant interview of Wendy Kopp, the founder of Teach for America. When Bryant asked what she's looking for in new teachers, Kopp had a somewhat surprising response: She doesn't seek the most charismatic candidates, but the ones who seem to have an "internal locus of control"--the ability to keep calmly forging ahead, to concentrate on what they can do rather than blaming others for the uphill climb they face in urban schools. Kopp even states that the most successful teachers are often the least charismatic.

Thinking back on my own experiences--at the teachers who, looking back, contributed the most to the person I am today--I tend to agree with Kopp's assessment. My best, most memorable teachers weren't the ones who blew into the classroom like hurricanes, juggling Power Point presentations and fancy cross-disciplinary activities to try to keep the kids occupied. They were the ones who encouraged me, day by day, and without any fanfare, to question my own assumptions and to probe my capabilities to see if I could go a little bit further. Kopp's point is well taken: This is the kind of teacher challenged youth need, not well-spoken people who are friendly and engaging but can't motivate their students to do a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment